Sunday, June 28, 2020

Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends - Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends (1970) CD

Year: February 1970 (U.S.) 25 May 1970 (UK) (CD Germany 1990)
Label: Linea Records (U.S.), LECD 9.00947 O
Style: Hard Rock, Rock
Country: England
Time: 35:38
Format: Flac Tracks 16/44,1 kHz
Size: 214 Mb

Jimmy Page spoke about the album in a 1970 interview, just after the LP was released:
"Well, I've known Sutch for years and years, and he's been in the business for 12 years and he's never had an album out. Last time we were in L.A. he came to me and said, "I wish you could help me out, I've got a chance to make an album and I've been in the business for 12 years," and he started citing other people who had been in the business for a long time, and even died, as did one particular chap, Johnny Cato, but you wouldn't have heard of him. He was in the business for about 12 years and he got killed in a car crash, I think it was, and he didn't have an album out.
So, Sutch is telling me all this, saying, "Oh dear, I must have an album out, you've got to help me," and I said, "Look, I'll help you if I can."
It was all fixed that I'd go down there and just do a bit, so we went down and played and I just did some backing tracks to numbers like "Good Golly Miss Molly" and "Roll Over Beethoven." You've got the picture, right? I didn't do any solos, no solos at all. I did a little bit of wah wah on one track, but I didn't do the solo in the middle, which isn't a wah wah thing. Somebody else put that on.
So, to cut a long story short, he rewrote all the tunes and he put another guitarist on over the top. But, and this is where the criminal side of it comes in, he didn't put "Extra guitar: So and So" or "Lead guitar played by so and so"; he put "Guitar: Jimmy Page," so everybody thought, "Oh, Jimmy Page played that heap of crap," and it became more than an embarrassment. He also wrote me in as producer, which was very nice of him (Jimmy laughs). I wasn't interested in that, I just went down to have a laugh, playing some old rock and roll, a bit of a send-up. The whole joke sort of reversed itself and became ugly."
(www.ledzeppelin.com)

Album chart 1970 Billboard Pop Albums (Billboard 200) #84

Screaming Lord Sutch – Lead vocals
Jimmy Page – Acoustic and electric guitar (on tracks 1–3, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12), backing vocals, producer
Jeff Beck – Electric guitar (on tracks 4, 5, 11)
John Bonham – Drums (on tracks 1–3, 7, 8, 11, 12), percussion, backing vocals
Nicky Hopkins – Piano, keyboards (on tracks 4, 5, 11)
Kent Henry – Guitar (on tracks 5, 6, 9–11)
Noel Redding – Bass guitar (on tracks 7, 9–11)
Rick Brown – Bass guitar (on tracks 4, 5, 11)
Deniel Edwards – Lead guitar and Bass guitar (1–3, 5, 6, 8, 11, 12)
Martin Kohl – Bass guitar (on tracks 5, 6, 9–11)
Carlo Little – Drums (on tracks 4–6)
Bob Metke – Drums (on tracks 6, 9, 10)
Written-By – Jay Cee (3) (tracks: 5 & 11), Jimmy Page (tracks: 1,2,3,7,8,12), Lord Sutch* (tracks: All except 5,11)
Produced by Jimmy Page & Lord Sutch Productions.

01. Wailing Sounds (Jimmy Page, Sutch) – 2:38
02. Cause I Love You (John Bonham, Deniel Edwards, Jimmy Page, Sutch) – 2:46
03. Flashing Lights (Jimmy Page, Sutch) – 3:14
04. Gutty Guitar (Sutch) – 2:33
05. Would You Believe (Jay Cee) – 3:20
06. Smoke and Fire (Sutch) – 2:38
07. Thumping Beat (Jimmy Page, Sutch) – 3:07
08. Union Jack Car (Jimmy Page, Sutch) – 3:03
09. One for You, Baby (Sutch) – 2:44
10. L-O-N-D-O-N (Sutch) – 2:56
11. Brightest Light (Jay Cee, Sutch) – 3:57
12. Baby, Come Back (Jimmy Page, Sutch) – 2:31

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com

KatFile      TurboBit

1 comment: